English Language Arts (ELA)
The K-12 English Language Arts program includes four Anchor Standards for learning:
- Reading: Key ideas, craft and structure, integration of knowledge and ideas, and Range of reading and level of text complexity
- Writing: Text types and purposes, production and distribution of writing, research to build and present knowledge, and range of writing
- Speaking & Listening: Comprehension and collaboration, and presentation of knowledge and ideas
- Language: Conventions of standard English, knowledge of language, and vocabulary acquisition and use
Elementary English Language Arts
The BPS elementary ELA curriculum is guided by the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), which has six categories of standards at each grade-level.
- Reading - Literature
- Reading - Informational Text
- Reading - Foundational Skills
- Speaking & Listening
Middle School English Language Arts
- 6th Grade English Language Arts is the integrated study of reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing skills. Students will increase their ability to analyze and synthesize information, increase their independent reading and become more proficient at writing independently.
- 7th Grade English Language Arts develops strength in reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. Course units of study: research, mythology, mystery, memoirs, literary analysis, and various genres of study.
- 8th Grade English Language Arts develops strength in reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing skills. With a focus in Science Fiction, Realistic Fiction, and Historical Friction genres, students will increase their ability to analyze and synthesize information, increase their reading ability, and become more proficient writers.