Welcome to Parent Advisory Council (PAC)
What is Specialized Instruction & Student Services - PAC?
The Birmingham Specialized Instruction & Students Services Parent Advisory Council (SE-PAC) is comprised of up to 15 parents, all of whom have children with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) in the BPS district. Additional participants include: BPS Superintendent, Executive Director for the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services, a Supervisor from the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services and a BPS Board of Education (BOE) Liaison.
Our mission is to collaborate with the BPS Special Education (SE) Department to promote the development of existing programs and services and advise in the development of new programs and services which optimize academic and functional achievement of students receiving special education support services.
1. Support the vision and beliefs of the BPS Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services.
2. Solicit information from parents of students who receive special education services regarding needed areas of program development and/or enhancement.
3. Participate in problem-solving discussion with members of the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services and the Superintendent.
4. Act as a resource to other parents in the BPS district.
5. Provide information, expertise, representation and participation in an advisory capacity to the administration.
• Collaborating to improve the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services' website to make information more accessible to parents.
• Recommending accommodations to enhance new Math Curriculum for students with disabilities.
• Offering innovative ways to market the PEEPs Program.
• Representing Special Education students in the Achievement Gap.
• Creating and presenting "Parents' Perspective of Special Education" to 11 BPS schools.
• Surveying BPS parents and Specialized Instruction & Student Services staff about the IEP process.
• Participating in BPS Strategic Planning Steering Committee and Action Plan Groups.
• Serving as Presidents of various community groups: Oakland Schools' ISD-PAC and BPS Parent Teacher Association (PTA).
• Representing the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services on many groups and committees throughout BPS to include: PTA, Education Council, African American Family Network, Preschool Task Force and more.
• Working collaboratively with the Friends of Different Learners (FODL) to ensure communication between parents and throughout the BPS district.
2020-2021 Executive Committee:
BPS PAC Reps:
Monthly Meeting Minutes
BPS PAC Meeting Schedule
2020-2021 School Year:
Because of COVID-19, most meetings will be held over Zoom. When it is safe to return to in-person meetings, they will be held at the Educaiton and Administration Center, 31301 Evergreen Road, from 9:30-11:30am on the third Tuesday of the month (*unless otherwise noted). All meetings are open to any parent of a BPS student with an IEP.
September 20, 2020*
October 20, 2020
November 17, 2020
December 20, 2020*
January 19, 2021
February 23, 2021*
March 23, 2021*
April 20, 2021
May 18, 2021
All meetings are open to all BPS parents.