Welcome to PAC
What is Specialized Instruction & Student Services - PAC?
The Birmingham Specialized Instruction & Students Services Parent Advisory Council (SE-PAC) is comprised of up to 15 parents, all of whom have children with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) in the BPS district. Additional participants include: BPS Superintendent, Executive Director for the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services, a Supervisor from the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services and a BPS Board of Education (BOE) Liaison.
Our mission is to collaborate with the BPS Special Education (SE) Department to promote the development of existing programs and services and advise in the development of new programs and services which optimize academic and functional achievement of students receiving special education support services.
1.Support the vision and beliefs of the BPS Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services.
2.Solicit information from parents of students who receive special education services regarding needed areas of program development and/or enhancement.
3.Participate in problem-solving discussion with members of the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services and the Superintendent.
4.Act as a resource to other parents in the BPS district.
5.Provide information, expertise, representation and participation in an advisory capacity to the administration.
• Collaborating to improve the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services' website to make information more accessible to parents.
• Recommending accommodations to enhance new Math Curriculum for students with disabilities.
• Offering innovative ways to market the PEEPs Program.
• Representing Special Education students in the Achievement Gap.
• Creating and presenting "Parents' Perspective of Special Education" to 11 BPS schools.
• Surveying BPS parents and Specialized Instruction & Student Services staff about the IEP process.
• Participating in BPS Strategic Planning Steering Committee and Action Plan Groups.
• Serving as Presidents of various community groups: Oakland Schools' ISD-PAC and BPS Parent Teacher Association (PTA).
• Representing the Department of Specialized Instruction & Student Services on many groups and committees throughout BPS to include: PTA, Education Council, African American Family Network, Preschool Task Force and more.
• Working collaboratively with the Friends of Different Learners (FODL) to ensure communication between parents and throughout the BPS district.
The Specialized Instruction & Student Services Parent Advisory Council is now accepting applications for interested new members!!!
The committee meets monthly, typically on the 3rd Tuesday of the month from 9:30am-11:30am, with SISS administration to collaborate on existing SISS programs and advise on new programs and services. The PAC is one of the resources that makes our district so strong and is a great resource for our families.
Please click on the below link for a blank application if you would like to become a PAC member.
All applicants must have a student with an IEP attending a district school in the 2019/2020 school year.
If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact:
Greg Butera, PAC Chair 2019/2020
Cell: (202) 345-3681
2019-2020 Executive Committee:
Eliza Nascimento Chayka,
PAC Vice Chairperson
BPS PAC Reps:
Stacie Makris - Elementary
Heather Moldvan - Elementary
Greg Butera - Elementary
Eliza Nascimento Chayka - Elementary/Middle School
Susan Bai - Elementary/Middle School
Jennifer Hanawalt - Middle School/High School
Kaylin Blake - High School
Christina Del Pizzo - Elementary/Middle School
Michelle Soto - Elementary/Middle/High School
BPS PAC Meeting Schedule
2019 - 2020 School Year:
September 17th 2019
October 15th 2019
November 19th 2019
December 17th 2019
January 21st 2020
February 25th 2020
March 17th 2020
April 21st 2020
May 19th 2020
All PAC meetings are held at the Birmingham Education and Administration Center. All meetings are scheduled from 9:30 am to 11:30 am. The Birmingham Education and Administration Center is located at:
Beverly Hills, MI 48025
All meetings are open to all BPS parents.