Welcome to Parent Advisory Council (PAC)
What is the Specialized Instruction and Student Services - PAC?
The Birmingham Specialized Instruction and Student Services Advisory Council (SE-PAC) is comprised of up to 15 parents, all of whom have children with Individualized Education Plans (IEP) in the BPS district. Additional participants include: BPS Superintendent, Executive Director of Specialized Instruction and Student Services, a Supervisor from the Department of Specialized Instruction and Student Services and a BPS Board of Education (BOE) Liaison.
Our mission is to collaborate with the BPS Specialized Instruction and Student Services (SE) Department to promote the development of existing programs and services and advise in the development of new programs and services which optimize academic and functional achievement of students receiving special education support services.
1. Support the vision and beliefs of the BPS Department of Specialized Instruction and Student Services.
2. Solicit information from parents of students who receive special education services regarding needed areas of program development and/or enhancement.
3. Participate in problem-solving discussion with members of the Department of Specialized Instruction and Student Services and the Superintendent.
4. Act as a resource to other parents in the BPS district.
5. Provide information, expertise, representation and participation in an advisory capacity to the administration.
• Participating in BPS Strategic Planning Steering Committee and Action Plan Groups.
• Serving as Presidents of various community groups: Oakland Schools' ISD-PAC and BPS Parent Teacher Association (PTA).
• Representing the Department of Specialized Instruction and Student Services on many groups and committees throughout BPS to include: PTA, Education Council, African American Family Network, Preschool Task Force and more.
• Working collaboratively with the Friends of Different Learners (FODL) to ensure communication between parents and throughout the BPS district.
2021-2022 Executive Committee:
BPS PAC Reps:
Adult Transition Program
Monthly Meeting Minutes
BPS PAC Meeting Schedule
2021-2022 School Year:
September 16 January 6
October 14 February 3
November 11 March 3
December 9 April 14