FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What languages do you offer at Seaholm?
We offer three spoken languages: Chinese, French, and Spanish. We also offer a two-year program in American Sign Language.
Do you offer Advanced Placement courses?
Yes. We offer AP courses in all three spoken languages: Chinese, French, and Spanish. But we usually combine our French AP class with students from Groves.
Do you offer honors courses?
We offer honors courses in level 4 and AP. We also offer a post-level 4 course in Chinese, French, and Spanish called "Perspectives."
What is the graduation requirement?
The BPS graduation requirement is two credits of the same language, with at least one credit earned at the high school, and with the high-school credit being a level above the last successful middle-school experience.
- Level 1 in 9th grade, Level 2 in 10th grade. Graduation requirement met.
- Level 2 in 9th grade, Level 3 in 10th grade. Graduation requirement met.
- Levels 1 and 2 in middle school, Level 3 in 9th grade. Graduation requirement met.
- Levels 1 and 2 in middle school, Level 2 in 9th grade. Graduation requirement not met. (Must take one more level in high school.)
- Level 1 in 8th grade, Level 1 in 9th grade. Graduation requirement not met. (Must take one more level in high school.)
- Level 1 Spanish in 9th grade, Level 1 French in 10th grade. Graduation requirement not met. (Must take level 2 of either French or Spanish in high school.)
Please contact the World Language Department Head or the Counseling Department if you have further questions.
Are language courses all year long?
Not usually. Most language courses last for two out of the three trimesters. You may have the A portion in the first trimester, and the B portion in either trimester 2 or trimester 3. Another possibility is the A portion in trimester 2 and the B portion in trimester 3. No B portions run in trimester 1, and no A portions run in trimester 3. The AP courses are the only ones that last all three trimesters.
Can I drop down or move up a level once the trimester starts?
There is a small window at the beginning of the trimester that allows for students to move levels. Usually, downward movement can take place within a day or two. But upward movement may require a placement exam or an analysis of your transcript. Please see your counselor.
Can I take more than one language?
Yes. (Please do!) You can take as many courses as you'd like. But keep in mind that the graduation requirement is two credits of the same language.
Can I test out of a language?
Yes. You can challenge a course. This means that you can potentially receive credit for the course (but no grade) if you pass a series of examinations. Please see the department head if you are interested in this option.
I speak another language at home. Do I have to take a foreign-language at Seaholm?
The answer depends on your level of proficiency, the particular heritage language, and your willingness to take a placement or test-out exam. Please visit the department head or your counselor to get a more specific answer, based on your individual situation.