Choice Hour Information - What is Choice Hour?
- An expanded day devoted to enrichment and additional learning experiences based on interests and abilities
- Opportunities for students in academics, academic competitions, academic support, technology, fine arts, the arts, clubs, community service, physical fitness and sports
- Many of the classes offer 8-10 week ‘curriculums’ – building from week to week
- Classes are taught by district teachers, paraprofessionals, parents, alumni, and members of the community.
Questions? Contact Choice Hour Program Manager Courtney Bassett at email@example.com
Sign Up & Process Information
BCS Choice Hour Updates
- Since all grades will be following the virtual school schedule, the AM timeslot of Choice Hour will no longer be offered. Students who were registered for AM Choice Hours will need to re-submit a sign-up form by Sunday, November 15 at 11:59pm. These students will have the opportunity to sign up for PM time slot classes and begin starting Monday, November 16. The sign-up form and booklet have been updated to reflect the offerings. Some AM classes also have PM sections which we hope students participate in. Find the sign up here: https://www.birmingham.k12.mi.us/Page/6952
- Currently enrolled students in PM choice hours can continue to participate as normal. If students registered for PM choice hour need to request a change, please do so on the Change Form by Sunday, November 15.
- Do you still need to sign up for Choice Hour?
- Students can still sign up for Choice Hour, however, registrations will be accepted and processed on a rolling basis. You can find the choice hour descriptions and sign-up forms here: https://www.birmingham.k12.mi.us/Page/6952
- You can find the current choice hour schedules based on initial sign up for Quarter II by clicking on Online Choice Hour Schedules (listed by student ID). Zoom Links can be found on the Choice Hour Zoom Links Document
- Please direct any Choice Hour questions to Courtney Bassett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quarter II Choice Hour Overview
All choice hours are offered virtual and are synchronous (live online) unless otherwise noted.
Asynchronous Courses: Some courses are marked as asynchronous. These students will still have the option to join a zoom in order to collaborate with other students who are enrolled in the class. The zoom will be run by a facilitator but the content will be provided asynchronously by the instructor, the facilitator will just be overseeing the zoom not teaching the content.
How to Sign Up
Follow the links below to the appropriate sign up form and course booklets. Sign up is due Tuesday, November 3 by 11:59pm.
How to Pay
- Three days of Choice Hour are required and offered at NO CHARGE.
- A 4th day is $55 for the quarter.
- A 5th day is $55 for the quarter. Students staying 5 days, owe $110 total.
- Payment Options: Cash, Check, or eFunds electronic payment.
Students will not be scheduled into Choice Hour classes unless payment in full is made by the deadline.
You will indicate on the online sign-up form if you plan to pay by check/cash or using eFunds. Students with past due balances will not be scheduled into classes.
Choice Hour Materials Fees: Do not include payment for “Materials Fees” or “Pay to Play” as there will be a separate billing once scheduling is complete.
If there are financial needs, call Dr. Hakim or Mr. Hill. Confidential arrangements will be made. No child will be excluded from a fee class for financial reasons.
Competitive Sports: Students interested in competing in one of the Winter I sports must also be enrolled in choice hour. Sports are 2 of a student's 3 days of choice hour selections.
- Boys Basketball - Boys Basketball will take place on Tuesday and Thursdays during the PM timeslot. Other practices will be offered and information will be posted on the Athletics page of the website.
- Girls Swimming - Please read all of the information regarding swimming on the Athletics page of the website. Students planning to swim will be asked to elect this on their choice hour form. Although swim meets 5 days a week, it only counts as 2 choice hour days. Students can still select a 3rd choice hour (and also choose to pay for a 4th and 5th selection if interested).
Continuing Classes: Make sure you read the booklets carefully and sign up for continuing classes if necessary (Science Olympiad, Debate, etc)
Choice Hour Schedules
- Schedules will be released on Sunday, November 8th electronically. Students and parents will need to have their student’s ID number in order to locate their Choice Hour schedule on the electronic spreadsheet.
- There will not be a change period for this quarter.
- Students can drop through Monday, November 16 and still receive a refund.
- Late adds will be accepted through Monday, November 16.
More Choice Hour FAQ’s
What happens if there are more students than openings in a Choice Hour class?
All students who have submitted their Choice Hour selections on time will be placed in a lottery. If a student doesn’t make the lottery cut, then their second selection will be considered.
Is Choice Hour sign up done on a first come, first served basis?
No, any student who submits their electronic Choice Hour selection form on or before the due date is given equal consideration for placement.
Is there Choice Hour on half days of school?
There is no Choice Hour on half days of school.
Who do I talk to if I have a question regarding the Choice Hour program?
If you have questions about choice hour in regards to class content, attendance policies, scheduling, student absences from choice hour or if you are interested in teaching a choice hour class please contact Courtney Bassett at email@example.com.
Is Choice Hour mandatory?
All students in grades 3 through 8 are required to attend Choice Hour three days per week at no charge.
What should I do if my child can’t attend the required number of days?
If your child can’t attend the required number of days, then you need to apply for a Choice Hour Waiver.
Why are we charging a fee for Choice Hour?
As part of the Birmingham Board of Education's Budget Deficit Reduction Plan, BCS was charged with reducing costs in educational programs. As one means of reducing these costs, the BCS Restructuring Committee recommended the concept of charging a fee for Choice Hour. The Birmingham Board of Education approved these recommendations.
How do I report a Choice Hour absence?
Report the absence by emailing Courtney Bassett.
- Course Descriptions, Selection Sheets, and Other Forms: Review and print Choice Hour class descriptions, waiver form, change/drop form, and any application forms for the quarter.
- Student Placement in Choice Hour Classes: How students are assigned to Choice Hour classes.
All Choice Hour questions should be directed to Courtney Bassett at firstname.lastname@example.org