• Special Dietary Needs and/or Food Allergies?

    Confused about when food substitutions must be made for a student when school meals are concerned? 

    If a student has a documented disability or medical issue that restricts his or her diet, the school foodservice department must make the substitutions as listed by a licensed medical professional (MD, DO, NP, PA) on a completed medical statement form. Any substitution of this kind must fully meet the reimbursable meal pattern.

    It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to submit a properly filled out and documented medical statement form. If your child has a food allergy, Holly Fields, district dietitian, must receive the special dietary form completed by a licensed medical professional (MD, DO, NP, PA). Our child nutrition team is not able to monitor or safe guard any food allergies in our cafes unless we receive a special dietary form on file for your student, per the Michigan Department of Education. After receiving we can make a plan to safe guard for food allergies in our cafes, provide more information including ingredient labels, a specific dietary plan, and more.  For any questions, please direct to district dietitian, Holly Fields, RDN, at hfields@birmingham.k12.mi.us for more information.