8th Grade National Junior Honor Society
All 8th Graders that have been accepted into NJHS and their families are invited to attend an Induction Ceremony that will take place on Monday, October 23rd inside of the BCS gymnasium. Doors open at 8:20am, and the ceremony will begin promptly at 8:30am, followed by a complimentary breakfast funded by our wonderful PTA.
Selection Membership Criteria
The NHS/NJHS chapter establishes rules for membership that are based upon a student's outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, citizenship and character. These five criteria for selection form the foundation upon which the organization and its activities are built.
1) Scholarship: Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.7 in both sixth and seventh grade.
2) Service: This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.
3) Leadership: Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify positive attitudes about life. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activity while working with or for others.
4) Character: The student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern and respect for others and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle. The student obeys the BCS code of conduct and exemplifies the BCS Touchstone the 3 E's: Education, Each Other, and Environment.
5) Citizenship: The student understands the importance of civic involvement, has a high regard for freedom, justice, and respect of the American form of government. Student demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement with such activities as; scouting, community organizations, and school clubs.
The induction ceremony will be held on Monday, October 23rd from 8:30-9:20.
Applications will be distributed to eligible students on Wednesday, September 13. All applications are due to Mrs. DeSimone on Thursday, September 28 by 3:20pm.