8th Grade National Junior Honor Society
Selection Membership Criteria
The NHS/NJHS chapter establishes rules for membership that are based upon a student's outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, citizenship and character. These five criteria for selection form the foundation upon which the organization and its activities are built.
1) Scholarship: Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.7 in both sixth and seventh grade.
2) Service: This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.
3) Leadership: Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify positive attitudes about life. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activity while working with or for others.
4) Character: The student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern and respect for others and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle. The student obeys the BCS code of conduct and exemplifies the BCS Touchstone the 3 E's: Education, Each Other, and Environment.
5) Citizenship: The student understands the importance of civic involvement, has a high regard for freedom, justice, and respect of the American form of government. Student demonstrates mature participation and responsibility through involvement with such activities as; scouting, community organizations, and school clubs.
NJHS FAQ's https://www.njhs.us/students/membership/student-membership-faq/