Character Education has served as a cornerstone in Birmingham Public Schools and our character education efforts have received national recognition. Eleven schools have earned National School of Character status.
To achieve National Schools of Character status, each school must submit a NSOC collaborative and illustrative portfolio outlining exemplary implementation on each of the 11 Principles of Effective Character Education. This portfolio is then sent to Character.org (www.character.org) for consideration. Schools selected as a National School of Character finalist undergo a rigorous onsite review, which includes discussions and interviews with parents, students and staff members.
The following schools are designated as National Schools of Character:
- Birmingham Covington School (2007)
- Greenfield Elementary School (2009)
- Beverly Elementary School (2010)
- Bingham Farms Elementary School (2011)
- Pembroke Elementary School (2011)
- Pierce Elementary School (2011)
- West Maple Elementary School (2013)
- Harlan Elementary School (2014)
- Derby Middle School (2014)
- Groves High School (2015)