Brownrigg's NewsletterPosted by Daniel Brownrigg on 8/26/2019
- Picture day is TODAY, September 20th.
- There is a half day on Thursday, September 26th. It is also our birthday recess so your child may bring in a treat for themselves (no peanuts please)!
- On this page, you will find the information for the goings on in my specific classes. If your child has another fifth grade teacher for a particular subject, please see that teacher’s page for information. Or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, GHaines@birmingham.k12.mi.us or JCrooks@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
- Should you need something or have a question that needs my attention, please feel free to email me at DBrownrigg@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
- We will continue adding and subtracting fractions. The students reviewed how to add and subtract fractions with like denominators and will work on different denominators. The students are also going to look at word problems to determine whether they should add or subtract depending on what the question is asking. The test for the first chapter will be during the first week of October.
- Please make sure your child is completing xtramath.com at least 3times a week. The sooner the students learn their basic facts the sooner they can begin to worry more about a concept rather then their times tables, and math will be much less stressful for them.
- We will begin reading by practicing the classroom expectations during reading. They should always bring a book to class that they will enjoy reading and are able to talk about with the teacher or other students. I will be Fountes and Pinnell testing each child during this time as well.
- We are continuing working on punctuation. We will learn about apostrophes and commas, which can have a tremendous affect on how a person reads a sentence.
- Due to the half day there will be no spelling. It will continue on September 30th.
- Please have your child bring a book to school everyday of the school year. They will have opportunities throughout the day to read and enjoy the book that they have choosen.
- The students will have Mrs. Crooks for Science this year. If you have any questions or concerns please contact him at email@example.com
Our first unit in Science is Earth and Sun. The first investigation in our unit is The Sun. Students look at shadows throughout the day. They use this information to monitor the position of the Sun as it moves through the sky, and analyze what this information tells us about time and rotation of the earth to produce day and night.
- Next week's health unit teaches the students healthy ways to handle bullying.
- We will start to look at four different regions found in what is now the United States, the Northwest Coast, the Southwest, the Great Plains, and the Eastern Woodlands. The students will eventually be creating an artifact from one of those regions that incorporates information that is important about themselves as well.
- Sept. 20th- Picture Day
- Sept. 26th- 1/2 Day - dismissal at 12:05
Special’s Schedule from 9:00-9:45 everyday
A Days- Art
B Days- Music
C Days- PE
D Days- Spanish
On B Days we also have Spainsh from 1:55-2:40
Band and Orchestra are on A and C days Monday thru Thursday from 2:45-3:30
Lunch is from 12:50-1:30 Daily
Allergy Alert! We have students in the 5th grade this year with allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. As we switch classes so often, the entire 5th grade is NUT FREE. You may send in a snack for your child to eat during our celebration!
CELL PHONE SCHOOL POLICY: Cell phones are to remain in the student's backpack until the end of the school day. They are not to be in the classrooms or on the student unless they are being used for instructional purposes. If a student is found with a phone, it will be taken to the office until the end of the school day.
Students are not to be in the building in the morning, prior to the bell. Students found roaming the halls or in unsupervised classrooms will be sent to Kids Club.