Brownrigg's NewsletterPosted by Daniel Brownrigg on 8/26/2019
- Please remember that the Parent Night for Berkshire is on Wednesday the 29th. The Fifth Grade Valentine's Dance is on Tuesday, February 11th.
- On this page, you will find the information for the goings on in my specific classes. If your child has another fifth grade teacher for a particular subject, please see that teacher’s page for information. Or email them at email@example.com, GHaines@birmingham.k12.mi.us or JCrooks@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
- Should you need something or have a question that needs my attention, please feel free to email me at DBrownrigg@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
- This past week we have multiplied whole numbers and decimal numbers to the thousandth place. They will working word problems that involve multiplication, more multiplication of decimals, and estimating. The test for this chapter will be the week of January 27th.
- Please make sure your child is completing xtramath.com at least 3times a week. The sooner the students learn their basic facts the sooner they can begin to worry more about a concept rather then their times tables, and math will be much less stressful for them.
- We are going to continue making inferences and visualizing while we are reading. In addition, we will review character and plot and talk about how characters change in a story.
- We are finishing up chapter 2 in our G.U.M. book. We will focus on adjectives, adverbs, and conjunctions. The test will be some time next week, date to follow.
- Please have your child bring a book to school everyday of the school year. They will have opportunities throughout the day to read and enjoy the book that they have choosen.
- Due to interuptions in reading, spelling will be due on Wednesday, January 22rd.
- The students will have Mrs. Crooks for Science this year. If you have any questions or concerns please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our first unit in Science is Earth and Sun. The first investigation in our unit is The Sun. Students look at shadows throughout the day. They use this information to monitor the position of the Sun as it moves through the sky, and analyze what this information tells us about time and rotation of the earth to produce day and night.
- We are going to continue to practice ways to stop bullying and social-emotional health.
- We will finish up the bodies of our opinion paper and will move onto the introduction and conclusion paragraphs. We will then edit with ourselves and a friend to make sure our paper follows great rules of grammar.
- We wil also take a look at the importance of Ruby Bridges in American History and how she helped in the Civil Rights Movement.
- January 20th - No School Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 24th- Make up Band/Orchestra Day
- January 29th- Birthday Recess and Berkshire Parent Night
- February 11th- 5th Grade Dance 6-8 pm
- February 14th - Half Day dismissal at 12:05
Special’s Schedule from 9:00-9:45 everyday
A Days- Art
B Days- Music
C Days- PE
D Days- Spanish
On B Days we also have Spainsh from 1:55-2:40
Band and Orchestra are on A and C days Monday thru Thursday from 2:45-3:30
Lunch is from 12:50-1:30 Daily
Allergy Alert! We have students in the 5th grade this year with allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. As we switch classes so often, the entire 5th grade is NUT FREE. You may send in a snack for your child to eat during our celebration!
CELL PHONE SCHOOL POLICY: Cell phones are to remain in the student's backpack until the end of the school day. They are not to be in the classrooms or on the student unless they are being used for instructional purposes. If a student is found with a phone, it will be taken to the office until the end of the school day.
Students are not to be in the building in the morning, prior to the bell. Students found roaming the halls or in unsupervised classrooms will be sent to Kids Club.