Berkshire PRIDE: We have a lot ot be proud of here at Berkshire Middle School!Character Education Awards2019: Character.org Promising Practice Award Winners:Bridge Builders Mentoring Program2016: Character.org Promising Practice Award Winners:January Drive: A school-wide basketball tournament and food drive and Food for Thought2015: Character.org National School of CharacterC3 Class Contributions to the Community2019-20Our school year is just getting started, but already we have great plans ahead. C3 students are excited to become part of some of our legacy projects, and new projects are in the works. Here are our preliminary plans for this school year:
- Mrs. Konen's class has again adopted our interior courtyard. Seen by the whole building, this is a point of pride for us all. In their first exploration, they found a number of monarch chrysalises, thanks to the milkweed patch last year's C3 class tended last year! They spend their C3 time weeding, making birdfeeders, and tending the courtyard plants.
- Mrs. Guzman's C3 has started working on our outdoor trails. It's exciting to have Mr. Phillip's Environmental Study Area being put to such good use, and their stewardship keeps the trails passable, especially during the wet spring season.
- Mrs. Peterson's class has begun recycling. They are responsible for saving thousands of pounds of recyclable material from the landfill, as well as freeing up time from our busy custodians so that those people can spend time cleaning our school!
- Mrs. Aubrey's C3 is partnering in our Community Garden! We had a great time harvesting tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers that will be used in the 6th grade Skills for Living classes. Mrs. Aubrey's class will help with cleanup, planting, and tending in the garden.
Other Great Projects in 2019-20
C3 project examples from 2018-19
- Our back to school curriculum night coin drive raised funds for the Walker Literacy Center
- Start with Hello Week! Sponsored by our NJHS club, we worked on creating inclusion in our building during this week.
Other Great Projects in 2018-19
- Mr. Goeman's C3 collected gently used, non-scary Halloween costumes for the Faith Community Coalition on Foster Care. 5 big boxes were sent over to help students have a fabulous Halloween.
- Mrs. Jolokai's C3 has partnered with a 1st grade at a neighboring elementary school. They are penpals, mentors, and offering any sort of assistance they can to the 1st grade teacher.
- Mrs. Brown's C3 has launched a Lost and Found Management Program! Weekly they patrol the school to collect missing items, organize them, and help return them to their owners.
- Mrs. Cummins class sponsored a very successful used book drive for Brilliant Detroit - collecting and sorting over 400 books.
- Mr. Anspach and Mrs. Gambone's C3 classes will be partnering to provide Berkshire and some neighborhood schools/parks with a Little Free Library. What a great way to reuse books and promote literacy in our area!
- Mrs. Rodriguez's class sold candy grams a few times this year to support Compassion International. Through their work they donated animals and classes to students in rural villages internationally.
- Mrs. Yaldo's class sponsored Autism Awareness month at Berkshire - they shared quotes and information each day in the daily announcements, built a beautiful Autism Awareness Tree with individual butterflies made by all Berkshire students, and sponsored a door decorating contest.
- The Cast of Annie Jr. raised over $2300 for the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption during their spring musical
- Mr. Anspach's class built and donated planters to an elderly gardener in our community.
- Mr. Baldridge's Leaders class fundraised and provided holiday gifts to a family in need. They also sponsored a staff appreciation holiday breakfast - cooking and providing the food themselves.
- Mrs. Canfield's ESL students ran a bake sale during conferences and raised over $700 for a Venezulan family in need.
- The Be the Change Club, NJHS, and Proud Dads collaborated to sponsor a canned food and loose change drive for Gleaners and Brilliant Detroit.
- Our Pizza for the People days supported Ninos del Mundo in Guatemala, Arco do Saber in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and our DI trip to Global Finals.
- Our Hoops for Heart campaign raised over $12,000 for the American Heart Association
- Our PE department donated $500 worth of physical education equipment to the Woyera Carepoint to help schoolchildren in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Past Accomplishments: Book Swap (non-profit), Diversity Ribbons sold in February, Bake Sale and Bottle Collection to benefit the American Cancer Society, Halloween Goodie Bags and Cards for pediatric unit at Henry Ford Hospital, Grounds clean-up at Berkshire, Cards for Seniors, Collected Box Tops for Education, C.A.R.E. House of Oakland County, Volunteers of America-Adopt a Family, Humane Society Blanket Donations, Oakland County Sheriff's "Sweets for the Troops" program, Hat Days, Candy Grams, and Ribbon Sales to benefit local Berkshire families, Labels for Education, Flint Water Drive, Grace Centers of Hope, 7th graders learned Hands-only CPR, Book Drive for homeless, adopted a family from Oakland Family Services and donated clothing and toys.