Book Reviews - Click Here to Submit a Review
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND DIRECTIONS
Q: How many Birbery books can I check out at one time?
Q: How long can have the book?
A: Two weeks. If you have any overdues or fines on your library account, you’ll need to take care of those before you check out a Birbery book. Sorry, there are no holds on Birbery titles.
Q: Can I renew a Birbery Book?
A: No. Birbery books need to be returned by their due date, but you may check out the same title after the book has been returned for two full class periods. If it is still availalbe after that time, you may check it out again.
Q: What happens if my Birbery book is overdue?
A: You will be charged $.10 a day for overdue Birbery titles, max. $5.00.
Q: Can I get the books from another provider such as Amazon, Kindle, the public library, Books-A-Million, Barnes and Noble, etc?
A: Yes, you are not required to check them out through the school library.
Q: If I have an Audible account or can locate an audiobook version, is that cheating?
A: No. Listen away!
Q: How do I get a sticker for my bookmark?
A: Read the book, write a quality review, come to the library to pick up a sticker.
Q: Do I need to print out my review to get the sticker?
A: No. Stickers are handed out on the honor system.
Birbery Finale - celebration after school
Q: How do I get invited to the Birbery celebration?
A: Read 5 or more books. Write a review for each book. RSVP that you plan to attend. Attend two Birbery activities during lunch rec. The party usually consists of pepperoni pizza from Jets, salad, and ice cream sandwiches for dessert.
Q: When will the party be held?
A: To be announced
Official Birbery Committee
Q: How do I earn a spot on the official Birbery Committee?
A: Read all 10 books, write 10 quality reviews, attend two lunch rec activities, and be one of the top 5 scoring participants in the quiz bowl.
Q: What are the perks of being on the committee?
A: You will be picked up by limo and transported to the Baldwin library for lunch. Once there, you will discuss the books with the committee members from the other middle schools. You will represent our school when voting for the one book that you believe should win the Birbery award.
Q: If I read all 10 books, will I be forced to compete for a spot on the committee?
A: No. If you want to be on the committee, then you have to compete for a spot. However, If you are content with simply gathering stickers and being invited to attend the finale celebration, then that’s awesome, too!
Birbery Quiz Bowl
Q: How will the quiz bowl competition be structured?
A: The structure of the quiz bowl depends on the number of qualified participants.
Q: Will the competition be done by grade level?
A: No, all eligible students will compete at one time.
Q: What can I expect the questions to be like?
A: The quiz bowl is tough! Ten questions from each book will be placed in a hopper and selected at random. The questions may be rather obscure, so if you plan on competing for a spot, you'll need to know the books quite well.
Birbery 2019 Dates To RememberHere are the important dates:
- November 5th ► Book titles will be announced. ELA classes are invited to attend the kickoff presentation.
- November 9th ► Book checkout at 7:40 am
- November 9th - February 24th ► Read and write reviews
- December 19th ► Bookclub meeting (1 of 5)
- January 9th ► Bookclub meeting (2 of 5)
- January 23rd ► Bookclub meeting (3 of 5)
- January 28th ► Newbery Winner Announcement
- February 5th ► Bookclub meeting (4 of 5) Note: Tuesday Meeting
- February 20th ► Last bookclub meeting and make-up date for absent students (5 of 5)
- February 24th ► Last day to meet program requirements. Reviews with a date stamp of February 25th will not be accepted.
- February 26th ► TENTATIVE Quiz bowl and Birbery finale celebration after school (3:20-5:20)
- February 26th ► Five Committee members selected after quiz bowl results
- March 1st ► Birbery Committee members from 3 schools meet at Baldwin