BPS Budget Information
BPS Budget FAQs
What is the timeline for the development of the 2019-20 Budget?
• BPS provided an initial communication to staff and families on March 13.
• Meetings with staff will take place throughout the month of March and early April.
• Groups within the district will learn more about the process from in-person meetings with representatives of the Central Leadership Team throughout April.
• Scheduling decisions and other planning will take place in April.
• Recommendations on any reductions will be completed by the end of April.
• Based on Board feedback, the District will begin implementing recommendations with a goal of changes for the 2019-20 school year throughout May.
The District must have a budget prepared and adopted by the Board of Education for the 2019-20 school year by June 30, 2019. This requirement will be met, and we anticipate having a solid budget in place at the June 18 Regular Board of Education meeting.
Do we hire anyone to help us accurately predict enrollment from year to year?
BPS contracts with Plante Moran to provide detailed forecasting of enrollment numbers. As is standard in the industry, Plante Moran provides us with an analysis within 1 percent (+/-). However, 1 percent of our approximately 8,000 students is about 80 students. While the analysis was within the promised 1 percent, this decline resulted in a loss of nearly $1 million.
What is our breakdown of residents that attend private or parochial students?
The District competes with 19 private and parochial schools in the area. As the economy improves, our area sees a trend in movement toward these other options. While this number was about 23 percent of K-12 students attending a private or parochial a few years ago, the improved economy has shifted to currently 25 percent or about 2,000 students.
Will this affect my child’s class size?
We are committed to focusing on reductions that have as little impact as possible to our students. We are aware of the positive effects of smaller class sizes on students’ growth and development and continue to keep that in mind as we work through budget decisions.
What are you considering as you seek efficiencies within the budget?
All options are being considered at this time. Our focus is around limiting impact to our students and classrooms, but work may be done to ensure best practices are being met in all areas.
Have another question?
Email email@example.com with questions, comments or for more information.