Choice Hour Information - What is Choice Hour?
Looking for current forms, sign ups, schedules and information about the current quarter of Choice Hour? Go to this page: https://www.birmingham.k12.mi.us/Page/6952
- An expanded day devoted to enrichment and additional learning experiences based on interests and abilities
- Opportunities for students in academics, academic competitions, academic support, technology, fine arts, the arts, clubs, community service, physical fitness and sports
- Many of the classes offer 8-10 week ‘curriculums’ – building from week to week
- Classes are taught by district teachers, paraprofessionals, parents, alumni, and members of the community.
Questions? Email BCSchoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us
More Choice Hour FAQ’s
How to Pay
- Three days of Choice Hour are required and offered at NO CHARGE.
- A 4th day is $55 for the quarter.
- A 5th day is $55 for the quarter. Students staying 5 days, owe $110 total.
- Payment Options: Cash, Check, or eFunds electronic payment.
Students will not be scheduled into Choice Hour classes unless payment in full is made by the deadline.
You will indicate on the online sign-up form if you plan to pay by check/cash or using eFunds. Students with past due balances will not be scheduled into classes.
Choice Hour Materials Fees: Do not include payment for “Materials Fees” or “Pay to Play” as there will be a separate billing once scheduling is complete.
If there are financial needs, call Dr. Hakim or Mr. Hill. Confidential arrangements will be made. No child will be excluded from a fee class for financial reasons.
What happens if there are more students than openings in a Choice Hour class?
All students who have submitted their Choice Hour selections on time will be placed in a lottery. If a student doesn’t make the lottery cut, then their second selection will be considered.
Is Choice Hour sign up done on a first come, first served basis?
No, any student who submits their electronic Choice Hour selection form on or before the due date is given equal consideration for placement.
Is there Choice Hour on half days of school?
There is no Choice Hour on half days of school.
Who do I talk to if I have a question regarding the Choice Hour program?
If you have questions about choice hour in regards to class content, attendance policies, scheduling, student absences from choice hour or if you are interested in teaching a choice hour class please contact BCSchoicehour@birmingham.k12.mi.us
Is Choice Hour mandatory?
All students in grades 3 through 8 are required to attend Choice Hour three days per week at no charge.
What should I do if my child can’t attend the required number of days?
If your child can’t attend the required number of days, then you need to apply for a Choice Hour Waiver.
Why are we charging a fee for Choice Hour?
As part of the Birmingham Board of Education's Budget Deficit Reduction Plan, BCS was charged with reducing costs in educational programs. As one means of reducing these costs, the BCS Restructuring Committee recommended the concept of charging a fee for Choice Hour. The Birmingham Board of Education approved these recommendations.
How do I report a Choice Hour absence?
Report the absence by emailing Courtney Bassett.
- Course Descriptions, Selection Sheets, and Other Forms: Review and print Choice Hour class descriptions, waiver form, change/drop form, and any application forms for the quarter.
Student Placement in Choice Hour Classes: How students are assigned to Choice Hour classes.