BPS, Better Together is a way forward for our school district as we recover from the Covid-19 pandemic and the impact it has had on our staff, students and community. The idea emerged from the vested interest our community has in how Birmingham Public Schools cares for the social-emotional health of our staff and students. Our unwavering commitment to providing a safe and loving learning environment remains strong, knowing we can support an environment where all staff and children feel like they belong! BPS is Better Together!
Our work so far:
To date, the District has worked diligently to address diversity, equity and inclusion; character education; and social-emotional learning. Here, we have summarized the work that has been done over the past five years.
Culturally Responsive Teaching Initiative
Restorative Practices Professional Development
BPS Character Education and Diversity Steering Committees
Hate and Bias Reporting Plan
Community Partners and Engagement
Social Emotional Learning
Throughout 2021-2022, under the leadership of Dr. Roberson, the District is developing a 5-year strategic plan. In the meantime, we have established short-term goals to ensure we are meeting the needs of our staff, students and community.
This year, we will:
- Celebrate the beauty and joy of diversity within our district and community.
- Reimagine and align the work of diversity equity and inclusion, character education and social-emotional learning to present a cohesive plan that addresses inequities while meeting the academic, behavioral and social-emotional needs of all learners and prepares the field to consistently implement the plan across the district.
- Align the work of the Diversity and Character Education Steering committees with social-emotional learning as the BPS, Better Together steering committee.
- Proactively work to reduce and eliminate incidents of hate and bias from our schools and be prepared to respond when they occur.
- Reorient the school improvement planning process to deeply embed addressing opportunity gaps in addition to climate and culture needs specific to each school building.
- Build upon the foundation of past professional learning to create a 3-year BPS, Better Together professional learning plan for leaders and teachers.
- Select and implement a culture and climate survey to measure progress toward:
- Student sense of belonging and value by the school community.
- How much students feel their teachers hold them to high expectations.
- How students persevere, manage emotions and believe they can succeed.
"The Function of Education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character- that is the goal of true education" ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
BPS Community Partnerships
African American Family Network
Art Jack, firstname.lastname@example.org
Latino Family Network (LAFAN)
Sandra Russo (President)
Imelda Scott (Outreach Lead)
BPS Family Pride
Not on the list, but should be? Contact April Imperio and let us know!