As our student and families continue to deal with the current medical and call to action on social issues, the counseling department wanted to offer resources shared by the district. The Groves Department will continue to send resources throughout the summer to support our families through this transformational time in our nation.
Local supports- Resources and activities
· Wylie Wellness https://wyliewellness.com/
· Henry Ford Sandcastles: aboutsandcastles.org https://aboutsandcastles.org/resources/activities-for-teens/
How to talk to children about grief, grief resources for teens & children
· Grief Resources for Teens: https://www.hopeforthebrokenhearted.com/grief-resources-for-teens/
· Helping Teens with Traumatic Grief:((Tips for caregivers) PDF:
· U of M Grief Resources: https://www.uofmhealth.org/patient-visitor-guide/grief-resources-support
Bereavement during COVID-19
· How to Cope with Bereavement During the COVID-19 Pandemic https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/bravery-in-bereavement/202004/how-cope-bereavement-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
· How to Cope with Bereavement During the COVID-19 Pandemic (deaths not necessarily COVID-19 related https://www.apa.org/topics/covid-19/grief-distance
· Grief and fear after a Covid-19 death: Managing a double trauma https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/health/grief-fear-coronavirus-wellness/index.html
Resources for Students:
- Teaching About Race, Racism and Police Violence
- Black Lives Matter Still Matters
- Let’s Talk! Facilitating Critical Conversations with Students
- Let’s Talk About It!
Resources for Parents:
- George Floyd. Ahmaud Arbery. Breonna Taylor. What do we tell our children?
- Your Kids Aren’t Too Young to Talk About Race: Roundup Resources
- Talking to Children After Racial Incidents
- Books About Race That Everyone Should Be Reading Right Now
SUMMER SCHOOL 2020 INFORMATION Click Here
Counseling Department Chair
Education: Mr. Hurns holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Liberal Arts and a minor in History from Xavier University, a Master of Education in Social Studies from Walsh University, and a Master of Arts degree in School Counseling from the University of Detroit Mercy.
Philosophy: Mr. Hurns believes School Counselors most provide counseling through preventive and intervention efforts, advocate for diversity and equity in education, and utilize diverse and multicultural perspectives to help students.
Mr. Hurns' favorite thing about Groves is the variety of academic pathways and activities that students can choose from to develop academically, vocationally and personally.
Education: Mrs. Adams holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from Michigan State University and a Masters of Arts degree in Counseling with a specialization in School Counseling from Oakland University.
Philosophy: Mrs. Adams believes that every student can be successful given the right tools. She believes her job is to help students learn and use those tools.
Mrs. Adams’ favorite thing about Groves is building relationships with Groves' students and staff.
Education: Mrs. Barksdale holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Health and Human Services from the University at Buffalo and a Master of Science degree in School Counseling from Canisius College.
Philosophy: Mrs. Barksdale believes every child has the ability to succeed in the academic, social/emotional, and college and career development areas with the help of trusted adults. Mrs. Barksdale is dedicated to empowering students to make independent decisions through the utilization of Solution Focused Therapy.
Mrs. Barksdale’s favorite thing about Groves is the “family-like” atmosphere of the school and its surrounding community.
Education: Mr. Kolb holds a Bachelor of Science in Social Science from Mercy College of Detroit and a Master of Arts in School Counseling from the University of Detroit.
Philosophy: Mr. Kolb entered the counseling field 30 years ago to help as many students as he could. Mr. Kolb’s philosophy of assisting and helping as many students as he can remains the same today.
Mr. Kolb’s favorite thing about Groves is the people - including the kids, families and staff.
Education: Mrs. Kowalchuk holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in French and Sociology from Michigan State University, a Master of Education degree in Educational Leadership from Wayne State University, and a Master of Arts degree in School Counseling from Wayne State University.
Philosophy: Mrs. Kowalchuk believes in helping students maximize their success and happiness within their social and educational context.
Mrs. Kowalchuk’s favorite thing about Groves is the growth of students!
Education: Mrs. Fugedi holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Organizational Communication from Eastern Michigan University and a Master of Arts degree in School Counseling from Eastern Michigan University.
Philosophy: Mrs. Fugedi believes in helping students challenge their narratives by giving them the tools to help manage obstacles that are in the way and to help them live empowered lives.
Mrs. Fugedi’s favorite thing about Groves is the students!
College and Career Specialist
Education: Mrs. Kondak holds a Bachelor of Arts from Alma College and is a Certified Career Development Facilitator – CCSP.
Philosophy: Mrs. Kondkak is an educator first and she acts as one of the many lights on a student’s pathway to self-knowledge and growth. Mrs. Kondak’s goal is help students know their interests to make the best post-high school decisions possible.
Mrs. Kondak’s favorite thing about Groves is our commitment to educating the individual student.
Education: Mrs. Reeves holds an Associate's Degree in Secretarial and Business Administration from South East Essex College of Arts and Technology.
Philosophy: Mrs. Reeves believes that team counseling and putting the needs of the students first is what makes us successful.
Mrs. Reeves’ favorite thing about Groves is that the staff and students rock!
Education: Mrs. Hourdakis holds a Bachelor of Science in Finance from the University of South Florida.
Mrs. Hourdakis’ favorite thing about Groves is the atmosphere and the wonderful staff!
Please use the clickable links below for counseling information and printable documents:
COLLEGE & CAREER