Ms. Otterbacher's Weekly E-News Archives
Derby Middle School Week at a Glance: Week of March 14th
Posted by Sarah Sindelar on 3/21/2021 9:00:00 AM
Derby Spring sports are right around the corner and registration is now open. Specifically, the Spring Season is made up of Track, Girls Soccer and Boys Tennis. The following are some specific details for all three sports:
- Registration link: https://secure.infosnap.com/family/gosnap.aspx?action=22727&culture=en
- Who can participate:
- Track: boys and girls of all grades (6th, 7th & 8th grades)
- Tennis: boys of all grades (6th, 7th & 8th grades)
- Soccer: girls in 7th and 8th grade. Soccer is a cut sport that keeps roughly 15 players
- All participants are required to wear a mask during practice. For games/matches both tennis and soccer will have to wear a mask. At track meets, masks will be required to be worn except during running events.
- All participants must fill out Clear to Go or the district's screener: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdSjk_g8yqd6j8iY-Wfm6OaDsph_h7ngXS09SgfM4TKRaH5Zw/viewform
- Participants will have to have a physical on file dated on or after April 15, 2020. If you have trouble getting on your doctor’s schedule, physicals can be procured on a walk-in basis for $25 at Emcura Immediate Care - 4050 W Maple Rd #101, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301.
- Physicals may be dropped off at the main office or emailed to Mrs. Guise at email@example.com.
- If you are unable to obtain a physical that fits within the date parameters, you can fill out a waiver to use an older one from last year, pre-April 15th through the MHSAA.
- Please fill it out completely: MHSAA Waiver
- Start Date: Practice/tryouts start April 5th
- Transportation: The district is not providing bussing to meets/games. Unfortunately getting to practice, games and meets will fall on individual families
Dear Derby Families,
Please read below carefully for the many things going on next week. Highlights include:
• We have no school Monday and Tuesday as staff prepares for our next phase of learning.
• Wednesday and Thursday evening our teachers look forward to discussing your favorite people at Parent-Teacher Conferences. (Thank you to our PTA for donating a delicious dinner to our teachers on Wednesday!)
• Thursday, March 18th is the first day of full face-to-face learning for students who have selected this option.
I would like to send an extended THANK YOU to all of our families who have worked with us during this uncommon school year. We appreciate you taking the time to read all of our updates and your timely responses to our surveys. We truly value your partnership and are looking forward to seeing the Dragons back in action.
Derby Middle School Week at a Glance 2020-2021
To submit an item for next week’s Derby E-News, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Week’s Events:
Teacher Prep Day- No school for all students
Teacher Prep Day- No school for all students
Girls White Volleyball vs. Berkshire at HOME 4:00PM
Girls Red Volleyball vs. BCS AWAY at 4:00PM
Parent / Teacher Conferences 4:00PM-7:00PM
Boys Swim vs Berkshire at HOME 3:45PM
Parent / Teacher Conferences 4:00PM-7:00PM
Mark Your Calendars:
* Spring Recess- No School March 29th- April 2nd
* Classes Resume- April 5th
To Report an Absence:
Parents/Guardians must email the attendance at email@example.com to provide detailed information regarding your students’ absence or tardiness by 8:00AM each day. Absence or tardiness may also be reported to the Derby Attendance 24-hour Derby attendance line at 248-203-5000, option 2 (email preferred).
Absences or tardies not reported to the Derby attendance office will be recorded as unexcused (please note that sending a note to your child’s teacher does not excuse your child. Always contact the attendance office in the event of a student absence). Please send an accompanying doctor’s note as well (PDF format) if appropriate.
Face-to-face Families - Clear to Go MUST be submitted for your student BEFORE they enter the building for their cohort day.
Back to In-Person Reminders:
Picking Up Your Student During the School Day:
Students who leave Derby for any reason during the school day must sign out in the Main Office. Students must submit a written note from the parent or guardian to the Main Office in the morning before their first class. The student will be given a pass in exchange for the note to leave class at the requested time. The student will present the pass to leave the class to their teacher at the start of class. Please do not email notes. The parent/guardian must come into the Main Office to sign out their child.
Lunch and Items Dropped Off During the School Day:
When dropping off books, lunches, homework, etc. for your child, we have shelves located in the inner vestibule right outside of the main office. Please place your child’s belongings on the appropriate grade shelf with their name on it. You may use the sticky notes provided next to the shelves. We will do our best to connect the item to the student, but it is your child’s responsibility to check the shelves in between their classes.
Student Drop Off & Pick Up:
Please do not park cars in the front driveway loop as it causes unsafe backups and traffic hazards during drop-off and pick-up times. Please be mindful of your speed and students are to be dropped at the curb only. We do not want them crossing traffic in the drop-off lane. Thank you!
At the end of the school day, students must either head to their adult supervised school activity or outside to be picked up preferably by 3:20. Students who stay after school in an adult-supervised activity must secure a ride home prior to the activity. All students waiting for rides must wait outside. This is a gentle reminder that students are not allowed in the building without supervision.
If your student should fall ill while at school, they will report to the Clinic. We will take their temperature and have them call home from the Clinic. If the student will be going home, s/he will remain in the Clinic until the parent arrives. When the parent arrives at Derby, they will enter the building, come to the main office doors, show ID and then return to their vehicle. We will sign the student out and send them to the car. The student must be picked up immediately per the Agreement to Adhere to BPS Safety Protocols.
Cell Phone/ Personal Electronic Devices:
Cell phones and all other personal electronic devices must be powered off and out of sight from 8:35 am-3:15 pm (including during lunch and recreation) unless students are given permission from teachers/ administrators. Students are expected to use the office phone to contact home or parents. Cell phone use is only allowed with teacher/ administrator approval and only for educational purposes. Students are not allowed to record video, audio, or take pictures anytime during the school day unless given permission from a staff member.
Food/ Birthday Policies:
For student health and safety, please do not bring birthday treats & foods to share. Locker decorations for birthdays are not permitted. Outside food deliveries are not permitted at any time.
Materials Pick-Up & Drops Off:
Our shelves will still be available in the vestibule for virtual students to drop off and pick-up materials. Doors to the vestibule are open 7:30 AM -6:00 PM. Monday - Friday (not during school breaks). This area is used for materials that need to be sent home from teachers to virtual students. It is also used for the return of any materials to the school that your student might have forgotten like library books, teacher novels, laptop pick-up etc. Finally, we have a small red and black box by the door into the office that is for the drop-off of smaller items like checks for yearbook, club registrations, and notes for teachers. Due to COVID Protocols, parents/guardians may not enter the building. This is different than in years past.
Derby School Schedule:
Please see this link Derby School Schedule for class times and bell schedule.
PLEASE PLAN TO ARRIVE TO SCHOOL ON TIME
Derby Virtual Staff Appreciation 2020/202
The PTA is in need of approximately 20 more volunteers to be able to have given ALL Derby staff some appreciation this school year. Please take a look at the sign-up below and commit to March, April, or May donations. Thank you for your support!
Derby Track is a go this year! Derby Track is open to all 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade boys and girls. Track is a great sport for everyone to participate in. As Spring nears, it’ll be a great time to get out in the sun and enjoy the outdoors while running with friends. No matter your skill level, track offers many opportunities for you to compete and have fun. Please fill out the following Derby track interest form so Derby can determine interest. This is not a sign-up or commitment form. Formal sign-up information and practice setup will be sent out later.
Email Coach Thayer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Coach Hickmott (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Career Exploration Opportunities
The following Oakland Schools Career Readiness one-hour virtual events will focus on learning more about the CONSTRUCTION industry. They are available for students and parents in grades 6-12. Career Exploration Opportunities registration link.
April 14th at 3:00 P.M.
Exploring Construction: A Career for Females, Too!
Career Readiness Family Expo
March 23, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
Help your child become career-ready!
This year’s “Virtual” Career Readiness Family Expo is an evening event connecting families with industry experts. Participants can engage in career awareness, exploration, and preparation with industry and education professionals through various breakout sessions. Topics will include in-demand careers, post-secondary options, soft skills, and various career readiness strategies, tips, and tools.
Who should attend the Family Expo? All parents/guardians with their students looking for information and guidance on finding a career pathway.
Register for the Career Readiness Family Expo link
Library Books – Please Return or Renew
The Derby library currently has 258 lost or overdue books that need to be returned or renewed. Please sign in to ClassLink (teal icon located in the Derby homepage Quick Links) with your regular computer username and password. Click on the orange Destiny app. Once the account loads, click the Checkouts link located on the left. Please renew your library materials, or return them to the main office vestibule shelves. Face-to-face students can return materials to the shelves outside the Derby library doors.
ORDER YOUR 2020-2021 YEARBOOK NOW!
OCHD School Nurse Newsletter
Please see attached for the latest OCHD Nurse Newsletter
OCHD Newsletter March 8th
We urge you to convey to your families the importance of keeping students home if:
* The student is pending a COVID test
* A household member is pending a COVID test
* A household member is positive with COVID
* If the student is symptomatic
We are seeing many classmate quarantines occur because of a student attending in person even though they should be staying home (as reasoning mentioned above). Typically, there is a reason that is the driving force in seeking testing. If they are getting tested, all should stay home while results are pending. We encourage a PCR test for accuracy.
BPS Saturday School
We are happy to announce that the BPS Saturday School will once again be operating throughout the school year to offer academic support and tutoring for all BPS students grades K – 12. Although we are currently operating virtually as a district, BPS Saturday School takes place every Saturday (excluding holidays and breaks) throughout the school year. Saturday School is normally hosted in the media center at Berkshire Middle School, but we are now operating virtually through Zoom from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. each Saturday on the following dates:
March: 13, 20
April: 10, 17, 24
May: 1, 8, 15, 22
The BPS Saturday School Coordinators will be working together with Groves’ NHS students as well as Oakland University student teachers to provide tutoring through Zoom and the use of “breakout rooms.” Our coordinators will be able to maneuver back and forth between breakout rooms to be able to monitor and support the tutorials. Zoom link sent in eNews.
Please visit the BPS Saturday School webpage to learn more and we hope to see you in this year’s virtual setting! https://www.birmingham.k12.mi.us/domain/839
BPS Parent Pride
Support Group for Parents of LBGTQ+ Kids
Please see the Parent Pride link for more information and scheduled virtual meetings.
Field Hockey League Opportunity 3rd - 8th graders!
Come and learn how to play field hockey! No experience necessary! League is open for 3rd - 8th graders, boys and girls. Players will receive basic skill instruction and gameplay. If you don’t have a stick, you can purchase one through online registration (choose the session indicated "With Starter Equipment”). League will run April 10 - May 15 at Oakland Yard Athletics. Register online at https://www.oaklandyard.com/lg_fieldhockey.asp.
Discover Field Hockey - One Day 90 Minute Clinic
Open to boys and girls ages 5 - 17, March 27th from 10 -11:30 am at The Sports Academy, Chesterfield, MI. Discover Field Hockey registration link
Registration is now open for the 2021 Girls Lacrosse Season!
Birmingham Little League
2021 Registration for Birmingham Little League is OPEN! Please visit the Birmingham Little League registration link for additional details.
Birmingham Girls Softball - Registration now open!
Birmingham Girls Softball is southeast Oakland County’s largest girls’ recreational softball league with over 300 players. BGS is a community-based, non-profit organization providing girls ages 6 to 14 the opportunity to play organized recreational softball. We are dedicated to teaching young ladies the fundamentals of softball in a safe and fun environment with teamwork and good sportsmanship being our top priorities. BGS is open to all girls interested in playing softball for the first time and those with prior experience looking to build on and develop the skills needed to play the game for years to come. All that we require is a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. To register or for more information, please visit our website at www.Birminghamsoftball.com For questions, please email Jeff Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Franklin Baseball & Softball League
The Franklin Baseball League serves ages 5 to 15. The deadline for registration is April 30, and players registering after this date may be placed on a waitlist. Season Dates are 4/10/21-6/19-21. Please visit the Franklin Baseball and Softball website for more information or to register.
Birmingham Community Education
Birmingham Community Education just added virtual and in-person Spring programs for all ages! For more information visit the Birmingham Community Education Spring 2021 link.
INAUGURAL CLASS OF FEMALE EAGLE SCOUTS
Boy Scouts of America's Scouts BSA Program for 11-17-year-olds began allowing females to join the traditionally male organization in February of 2019. One of the female troops formed at that time was Troop 1001G sponsored by First Presbyterian in Birmingham. Five females from Troop 1001G have achieved the esteemed rank of Eagle Scout as of February 8, 2021. One of these Eagles is Derby’s very own Margot Nardone!! Great JOB!!! Congratulations Margot!
Pathways to College
Alicja Jahnke is an independent college consultant and co-owner of the ACE College Consultants, LLC. She retired with 38 years of experience as a teacher and school counselor. For the past six years, Alicja has been working as an independent college consultant with both domestic and international students. She holds three Master Degrees: Masters of Music from the University of Michigan, Masters of Arts in Learning Disabilities from Eastern Michigan University and Masters of Arts in Counseling from Eastern Michigan University. She is a member of the National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACA) and a professional member of The Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA). For more information, see the link. Pathways to College Information
In Case You Missed Our Reminders From Last Wednesday
• Changes in the calendar- Please note that middle schools will NOT meet on Monday, March 15th and Tuesday, March 16th. This includes meeting virtually. Teachers will be prepping the furniture and room setup for many of our students to return in-person. School will resume virtually on Wednesday, March 17th and our first day of full in-person (with a virtual option) will be Thursday, March 18th. We will NOT be having a virtual week following spring break, April 5-9. School will resume face to face on April 5th.
• Lockers-Students will be assigned a locker if they choose to use it. Locks will be for sale in our office for $6 for any student that would like to purchase one.
• Clear to Go- All new to in-person students will be entered into our Clear to Go system and expected to fill it out daily upon entry into the building.
• Outside-We will be going outside for lunch and rec as much as the weather allows. Please send your student to school dressed to be comfortable outdoors each day.
• Schedule-Our daily schedule will remain the same. You can find that schedule here. Our in-person students will come face to face on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday with a virtual day on Wednesday.
• Tours-Virtual students who are entering the building for the first time this year may want to tour the building before Thursday. Our CSO, Mrs. Johnson, will be hosting tours on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week. If your student has been virtual and is interested in a tour, you may sign up here.
• Transportation-The current bus schedule should remain the same. You can find your student’s bus information on the Durham App or the transportation tab on Power School.
• Conferences-Conferences are Wednesday (3/17) and Thursday (3/18) from 4:00-7:00. If you have not already signed up for parent-teacher conferences, you may do so here: conferences. Zoom links for conferences will be sent out next week.
We are including some “return to in-person” reminders for our students who will be in the building for the first time and those that need some refreshers.
All In-Person Learners
In Person Dismissal
Drop-off (and walker) locations
Last names A-L Front Loop
Last names M-Z: Adams Parking Lot
Students remain in cars until 8:25am
Bus Drop Off Location
Bus Loop – students remain on busses until 8:25am
Send a labeled & filled water bottle your child can manage - Straw recommended.
Yes, all students must wear a mask (if possible, please send extra masks to school with your student)
School Supplies - Students will be assigned a locker if they choose. If they do not wish to use a locker, they may carry their backpacks. Students need laptops and headphones every day.
Communication will come from your classroom teachers if other supplies are necessary.
Complete agreement to follow these protocols
This is a one-time agreement to be filled out before entering the building for the first time. This is different than the Clear to Go which is to be filled out each day. Students who have already come face-to-face have completed this.
Share child’s symptoms and contact with individuals with symptoms on a system called “Clear To Go.”
Questionnaire must be answered the evening before or in the morning
Lunch and Breakfast
Will be provided to all students at no cost from Chartwells, if they would like a school lunch. (Students will have the choice of two cold lunch options.)