Posted by Daniel Brownrigg on 8/26/2019
- Tuesday, Dec. 10 is a half-day. Please make sure to make arrangements for your students to be released at 12:05.
- On this page, you will find the information for the goings on in my specific classes. If your child has another fifth grade teacher for a particular subject, please see that teacher’s page for information. Or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org, GHaines@birmingham.k12.mi.us or JCrooks@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
- Should you need something or have a question that needs my attention, please feel free to email me at DBrownrigg@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
- We will continue working on chapter three. We will continue to work on multiplying fractions, mixed numbers, and multiplication word problems. We will end the unit with division of fractions. The test will be the week of December 16th.
- Please make sure your child is completing xtramath.com at least 3times a week. The sooner the students learn their basic facts the sooner they can begin to worry more about a concept rather then their times tables, and math will be much less stressful for them.
- We are going to continue making inferences and visualizing while we are reading. In addition, we will review character and plot and talk about how characters change in a story.
- We are starting chapter 2 in our G.U.M. book. We will focus on action and linking verbs, modal auxiliaries, adjectives, and adverbs.
- Please have your child bring a book to school everyday of the school year. They will have opportunities throughout the day to read and enjoy the book that they have choosen.
- Spelling will continue with more suffixes. Next week we will learn about -ary, -ery, and -ory
- The students will have Mrs. Crooks for Science this year. If you have any questions or concerns please contact her at email@example.com
Our first unit in Science is Earth and Sun. The first investigation in our unit is The Sun. Students look at shadows throughout the day. They use this information to monitor the position of the Sun as it moves through the sky, and analyze what this information tells us about time and rotation of the earth to produce day and night.
- We are going to continue to practice ways to stop bullying and social-emotional health.
- We will begin to research our European Explorers to decide whether they are a hero or a villian. The students will have to use online resources and books from the library to find their information. The kids will then share their information with other students with the same explorer to help create a t-chart to organize their information.
- Dec. 10th- 1/2 Day
- Dec. 20th-Spirit Day - Pajama Day
Special’s Schedule from 9:00-9:45 everyday
A Days- Art
B Days- Music
C Days- PE
D Days- Spanish
On B Days we also have Spainsh from 1:55-2:40
Band and Orchestra are on A and C days Monday thru Thursday from 2:45-3:30
Lunch is from 12:50-1:30 Daily
Allergy Alert! We have students in the 5th grade this year with allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. As we switch classes so often, the entire 5th grade is NUT FREE. You may send in a snack for your child to eat during our celebration!
CELL PHONE SCHOOL POLICY: Cell phones are to remain in the student's backpack until the end of the school day. They are not to be in the classrooms or on the student unless they are being used for instructional purposes. If a student is found with a phone, it will be taken to the office until the end of the school day.
Students are not to be in the building in the morning, prior to the bell. Students found roaming the halls or in unsupervised classrooms will be sent to Kids Club.