Start with Hello Week
Posted by Pam Lucken on 9/23/2019 9:00:00 AM
We are excited to participate in “Start with Hello” week from September 23-27th. Created by the Sandy Hook Promise Foundation, “Start with Hello” week is dedicated to intentionally encouraging us to engage with those around us so no one is alone. It also ties in well with our building goal of Connection!
We’ve planned a week of easy activities to increase connection in our building, starting with a High Five Friday last Friday. Staff members greeted students . You can find more information and all of the things you will need for the week here:
(Thanks to Derby and Rick Meyer for passing the idea on to all of the BPS Schools. We used his Google Slide presentation and adapted it for our own week here at Berkshire.)
Friday, Sept 20 – High Five/Hello Friday: Available staff invited to help us greet kids in the morning before school
Monday, Sept 23 - Promise 2 Start with Hello - Greeting
- Kids greet kids as they enter school
- DURING C3: watch student-created video in from Burnett Middle School C3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzMVHl4f13o&feature=youtu.beHello
- Option during C3: get to know you activity (slides 11-16 above)
Tuesday, Sept 24 - Promise 2 be Kind – Kindness wall
- DURING C3: Wall of Kindness with Sticky Notes. NJHS members will come to your C3 with sticky notes. Kids will be asked to write positive messages on notes – they will be posted on the front windows of the school. This will be a “take what you need” wall with kind notes and students would be able to take a note off the wall throughout the day. (example, slide 17)
- Option during C3: watch Kid President Video (about 3.5 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z7gDsSKUmU&feature=youtu.be
Wednesday, Sept 25 - Promise 2 Embrace Diversity - Lunchtime
- Mix it up at lunch: https://www.tolerance.org/mix-it-up kids sit at different tables. Kids will get a colored slip of paper directing them to a table with the matching color.
Thursday, Sept 26 – Morning announcement and I am Berkshire Pledge
Friday. Sept 27 - Promise 2 Connect – School Spirit and Chalk the Walk
- School spirit day– Berkshire Colors (Black and Grey) with Teal Accessories to Commemorate Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- Chalk the Walk (NJHS members will write positive messages on sidewalk for kids)
I hope we have fun with this week!