Posted by Nicole Crawford on 9/25/2019 12:00:00 PM
BIRMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS
EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER
Applications are being accepted for the position of Assistant Teacher at the BPS Early Childhood Center, a nationally accredited and state licensed full-day program for toddlers, 3 year olds and 4 year olds. We have positions for school year as well as year round schedules. Teacher assistants work with a head teacher and one other assistant. This is a non-bargaining unit position.
This position is full-time, Monday-Friday. Openings are in both toddler and preschool classrooms.
JOB SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work collaboratively with classroom team to develop and maintain a safe, nurturing, and positive environment for each child.
- Help with all classroom activities including choice time, arts, gross motor play, math and literacy games, circle time, ect.
- Interact with children to develop positive relationships, extend play experiences, enhance language development and build social emotional skills
- Contribute ideas for the classroom and gather/prepare materials when needed.
- Act as positive role model for children.
- Assist with assessing students using HighScope Child Observation Record.
- Attend all staff meetings and staff development sessions.
- Work one on one with students or in small groups as needed for maximum effectiveness of instruction.
- Assume responsibility in an emergency or if head teacher is absent.
- Assist in implementing a program for positive discipline and classroom management.
- Communicate effectively with parents.
- Follow all district and center policies as well as NAEYC and state licensing rules and guidelines.
- Ability to lift children up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to move from a seated-to-standing position frequently and with ease.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Minimum of a Child Development Associate credential (CDA) or equivalent is preferred. (An equivalent is a minimum of 12 college credits in early childhood education, child development, elementary education or early childhood special education)
- Experience working with young children is required.
- Blood borne Pathogen, Playground Safety, Epi-Pen and Concussion training, plus additional training required by state licensing and NAEYC guidelines must be completed within 30 days of employment. First Aid and CPR training will be provided.
- State of Michigan Licensing Background Check, along with BPS background check and fingerprinting, are required before an employee may work with children.
- A physical and TB test must be obtained, passed, and documented with physician's signature.
- Experience in HighScope curriculum preferred but not required.
START DATE: As soon as possible
COMPENSATION: $10.75-$11.92 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience. After 90-day probationary period the employee is eligible for single subscriber health benefits, sick days and paid leave days. There are additional opportunities for professional development.
METHOD OF APPLICATION: Applicants, who wish to be considered for this position, must submit a letter of application and resume to Laura Tinsley, Principal of Early Learning, at LTinsley@birmingham.k12.mi.us.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER